Thursday 10 October 2013

Symbolism

What is symbolism?

sym·bol·ism  

/ˈsimbəˌlizəm/
Noun
  1. The use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities.
  2. Symbolic meaning attributed to natural objects or facts.

Symbolism is often used in photography to carry messages across to an audience. Sometimes it's very obvious sometimes it is more subtle but the majority of photographs are to taken to either document a time to influence an audience sometime in the future. 

I have began to think about symbolism within my own photography for this project. A narrative is all about telling a story but how can I tell a story without creating something cheesy or that carries no weight. 

I'm quite enjoying my timepiece project, it's got me thinking outside of the box and it's been a big help to have group talks about my project. Initially I was looking at shooting around 10 images, however after talking with the group it was decided that I could achieve the same message with fewer shots and that the message may actually be more effective if the audience are given less information and have to work a little to see the connotations within my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment